Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sarawak, School Experience



I've finished up one week at SK Mador, Elementary School in Sarawak. It's been great so far. I've found myself hanging out in the grade 1 room a lot, which maybe a little odd because they know the least amount of English in the entire school. Today I taught them the colours blue and green and they can all spell them. Tomorrow I'm planning on yellow and red. School runs from 7:00 - 1:00, and the students only get one 20 minute break for a snack. There is no playground or recess supervision here, and there are no substitute teachers. If a teacher is away there is no replacement, the students just sit in the classroom and wait for the next class. The majority of the students live at the school and only go home on weekends. There's a completely different approach to teaching and learning here that I'm still figuring out.

No comments:

Post a Comment